pictures in slideshow (c) Danielle Huber
When visiting the Buffalo & Erie County Botanical Gardens you can actually see three historic attractions in one: Olmsted’s South Park, the 1899 tri-domed glass conservatory building, and the Victorian-style gardens of plants (both “Gardens Under Glass” and “Gardens Under the Sky”).
The Botanical Gardens Hours and Admissions Informationhttp://www.buffalogardens.com/pages/hours-admission
Botanical Gardens Contact information can be found on their websitehttp://www.buffalogardens.com/pages/contact-us.
The Basilica of Our Lady of Victory stands as a tangible symbol of one mans faith in God and devotion to his helpmate, Mary. The Rev. Nelson Baker crowned 60 years of priesthood and charity work with the completion of this magnificent shrine…
After five years of construction, the church was consecrated on May 25, 1926, by Cardinal Patrick Hayes and Bishop William Turner of the Diocese of Buffalo. Just two months later, Pope Pius XI designed the shrine as a Minor Basilica, Making it only the second such church in the United States.
The design of the basilica, a blending of the architectural styles of the most striking European cathedrals, is credited to Frenchman Emile Ulrich, an expert in ecclesiastical architecture. His commitment to Father Baker and the shrine was so complete he halted all other projects he had at the time to focus on the Basilica. Ulrich personally inspected all of the artist work in the U.S. and Europe, to fulfill Father Baker’s wish for the finest materials and craftsmanship.
The task of planning the interior of the shrine was Master Artist Gonippo Raggi’s. The Italian born Raggi, in cooperation with Buffalonian Marion Rzeznik, created all of the magnificent oil paintings, mosaic work, and murals found within the church.
All other associated work was handled by various Buffalo craftsmen and business, including the foundation (Memorial Art Co,), the copper dome and angles (Machwirth Brothers), and the nearly 200 stained-glass windows (Otto F. Andrle Stained Glass and Art Institute).
In 1981, the Delaware Pipe Organ Co. constructed and installed the magnificent pipe organ, which currently sits in the balcony of the Basilica. The newer instrument replaced the original Wurlitzer organ, which had deteriorated beyond repair.
This beautiful sanctuary of Our Lady of Victory welcomes pilgrims and visitors of all faiths. To set up tour, or for more information, click here http://www.ourladyofvictory.org/visitor-information/tours/.
The Lackawanna Public Library is a beautiful colonial style building with magnificent oak woodwork throughout the interior. The Library is one of the last Carnegie Libraries ever constructed (1922). It houses a local history and steel plant museum in tribute to the once mighty steel industry in the region. The museum also contains old city directories, microfilm of Lackawanna’s local newspapers and the Victorian, a publication devoted to the memory of Father Nelson H. Baker.